I have been following Intuitive Eating and also a Nutrient Dense Diet for some time now. Overall, I do feel better with feeling like I have more energy and my sleep has improved so I wake up more refreshed. I have lost a few pounds however my weight loss has not been going very fast( which is okay) or consistent. I did some research on what may help to losing weight for me. I found out that keeping a food diary may be a key to losing extra weight. And there is a study showing that tracking your food works.
The American Journal of Preventive Medicine, published the study which included 1,685 obese or overweight U.S. adults who were 25 years and older.
The people in the study kept food diaries for six months and were encouraged to be physically active and to eat a healthy diet. Each week they met in groups to brush up on skills, like how to judge portion sizes and they also shared their food diaries.
The good news was after six months, the participants had shed almost 13 pounds, on average. The number of days per week they kept their food diary, was the most powerful predictor of their weight loss. This information was from Victor Stevens, PhD, who is the senior investigator at the Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research in Portland, Ore.
Interestingly, those participants who tracked their food six days a week, writing down everything they drank and ate on those days, lost almost twice as much weight as those who only kept food records one day a week or less.
Food Diaries Do Work
- Write down as soon as you can after you eat or drink. Record what you ate and drank as soon as possible and not wait.
- Portion size is important. Use measuring spoons, measuring cups , or food scales to learn what portions look like. It is common that people underestimate how much food they serve themselves or are served.
- There are different types of food diaries, find what works for you. You can use a scrap of paper, an app on your phone or a notebook. It really does not matter as long as it works for you and that you use it.
- Have indulgent days. It is especially important that you write down what you eat especially on those days that you eat junk food or other high calorie foods and accurately see what you do eat by measuring it.
- Home cooking. If you make it yourself, you have more control over what you consume, and know exactly what the food contains and how much of it you’re eating.
Here are some beneficial health benefits we can use, even if you a have only a modest weight loss and they don’t bring you down to your ideal weight, they are good to know.
Best wishes to you all